Monday, March 5, 2018

HUGE, Bruised and 18.2

Welcome once again to my fitness journey blog.

Last week was a demanding one. During the Open, I moved to new days and times slots. This is because the Gym does the Open WOD on Fridays. Leaving the basics class is HUGE for me and again I feel like the new guy all over again. I'm nervous and insecure walking into the much larger class, with the Rx'ers. Doing a wod Rx means doing it as prescribed, I am still very much scaled and intimidated by the people that can do them Rx. I know we all start somewhere, and everyone in the gym does make me feel welcome. I'm not shy, but at the same time I am not one that is very approachable either and this also plays into my insecurities and puts me out of my comfort zone going into the new class. I've been in the new class for a week plus now and starting to get more comfortable. It does help that some of the folks did the Saturday morning class with me also, so I am a bit more comfortable, unlike my drop-in at Crossfit Minot.

Dropping In, probably the hardest thing I've ever done, and I did that in January. I was in town for my Father's 60th birthday and I didn't want to miss a session. I'd learned going longer than 2 days without a workout is painful lol. So I found Crossfit Minot on Facebook, sent a message and showed up. Damn hard to do, but again this proves Crossfit people are some of the best and most accepting people I've met.

 I felt accomplished on the normal wods I did Monday and Wednesday and clearly I seem to be improving. Monday was for every 8 mins for 40 mins run 400m, 9 thrusters and 15 chest-to-bars. I was actually able to increase my weight on thrusters to 75lbs, which may not sound like a lot, but its HUGE for me with my bad knees. I also moved up from ring rows, to jumping chest to bars, which is another HUGE improvement for me.

Wednesday's had me feeling great, if not sore lol. It was AMReps (As Many Reps as possible), 12mins. The wod was Box Jumps, Sumo Deadlift High-pulls for 1 min on each, then 2 mins for each and finally 3 mins for each. I still had to scale back, but HUGE improvement for me was instead of a 20in Box I increased to 24in and previously I was only able to 75lbs on SDHP and increased to 115lb!!! Major jump there!!!. Sumo's are an awkward move, especially after doing regular deadlifts. Watch the following video to see how these are done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6QniJ9FaGA

Friday was the 18.2 wod for the Crossfit Open, it was 1,2,3,4,5.6,7,8,9,10 with dumbbell squats and bar facing burpees. There was a second part if you finished the first in less than 12 mins was to do a clean. I was actually able to finish the 1st part! Although it only left me 5 seconds to do the clean, which I was not able to do. That being said I am so proud of how far I've come so far, 4 months ago I wasn't even able to do a regular push-up or burpee and now I was able to do the whole dumbbell squats/burpee part of 18.2!!! HUGE. I didn't realize until Saturday afternoon, that throwing the 35lb (I scaled the dumbbell squats) onto my shoulders actually bruised them. 55 reps of dumbbells banging against them didn't bother me until like 24 hours later. My adrenaline was still pretty pumped from the workout. I plan to retest tonight to see if I can get that clean in :)

My nutrition has been still pretty good, although I did go over calories on Saturday. My protein and carbs are pretty on par with what my doctor and nutritionist recommend. I am more or less in maintenance mode and keeping  my calories between 1100 and 1400, I do however try to keep them below 1200. I have been keeping within the same 5lbs, 225-230. The exception is always when I do my workouts. I do try to add additional cals on that day. It can be a challenge, because on those days, I do buckle down on eating as clean as possible and keeping the carbs and sodium at a minimum because I don't want to meet "pukie" at the gym. I keep the carbs out to focus the energy being burned from the remaining fat and not on what I had ingested that day, I do keep carbs in general at a minimum since surgery. A typical gym day food intake is like...
Breakfast
- Protein Bar (Quest)
Lunch
- Lean protein (usually chicken or turkey) with roasted spaghetti squash and a green veggie.
Afternoon Snack
- unsalted roasted nuts
Dinner
- Protein bar (Quest)
Post Workout
- 2 Cups Yogurt (Dannon Light and Fit)
- Protein Bar (Quest)

I know it doesn't seem like much, but to a post bariatric surgery patient, its a lot. Yes there are 3 protein bars, and sometimes I will substitute some of them with a protein shake, they are always a different flavor so they don't get old.  The lunch does change, but the basics structure always remains the same.

Got my Rock Tape Knee Sleeves, going to break them in tonight with the redo of 18.2. Damn is I don't have butterflies again as it gets closer. I'm also nervous because the Wife is not feeling well again and had to leave work, hope she will be better by the time I leave for the gym and that our Toddler will behave for her until I get back to put him to bed.



Crossfit to me, has been a life saver. Not just getting in shape to live longer, but as a stress relief and a way for me to workout any anxieties and stress that have built up from the last session. I've spoke to my wife and after the baby arrives, I can attempt everyday until my paternity leave is done. Baby should be here April 12th and I will for the 2 weeks after need to get out for a bit each day. I am worried about the the fact that I will be getting less sleep to recover, I'm not much of a nap taker. Can't fall sleep if the sun is out unless either I am already asleep when it comes up or I'm very sick.


Thank you once again for reading!


Jeremy Olson
Podcaster, Producer, Blogger, and now Crossfitter!
LLAP

Follow me on Twitter and instagram 
Twitter @FewMasterJay




No comments:

Post a Comment